Thanks to all who have tried to help me so far.
I'm sorry to be such a pest.  I've tried a number of things and still
can't get it.

Management wants email to
        user@ <a non-existent machine> .arlut.utexas.edu
will be treated as though it had been addressed to
        u...@arlut.utexas.edu
(sendmail can do this.)  (I'd like to stop this practice, but, oh, well.)

Is this much set up correctly?
relay_recipient_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/pfrecipient_canonical
        This file looks like this for the user schumi
        /^schumi@.*\.arlut\.utexas\.edu$/       sch...@arlut.utexas.edu
I can send mail to schumi, schumi@correctmachine, and
my backup mail server delivers the mail like I want it to.
My relay_recipient_maps is such that I do match all possible subdomains.
I don't get "recipient unknown" so it seems that much is correct.

Mail to schumi@nonexistentmachine
gets shoved to the primary internet connection.  I can tell from the
headers in the msg.  So this mail server isn't doing this "fail-over"
like management wants.

I've read and re-read the addressing READMEs online.
Is this "failover" from a non-existent, non-DNS MX, non-transport_maps
machine to the right machine (see ns8,vme below) possible?
The DNS MX lists only the primary and backup mail gateways (they
don't do final delivery).
There is a short list of machines which do take final delivery but
none are in DNS MX records.  These are listed in the transport_maps.

Here's the transport_maps file used in the tests.
        ns8.arlut.utexas.edu    smtp:[ns8.arlut.utexas.edu]
        vme.arlut.utexas.edu    smtp:[vme.arlut.utexas.edu]
I've tried adding
        .arlut.utexas.edu       :
But that will involve the primary mail servers (again, from the msg headers).

For reference, schumi's alias looks like this:
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/pfmalias
        schumi sch...@vme.arlut.utexas.edu, sch...@ns8.arlut.utexas.edu

j.