On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Ram <r...@netcore.co.in> wrote:

> On 08/19/2011 07:50 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 19.08.2011 16:05, schrieb Ram:
>>>
>>> I dont want to make smtpd connections in the app because that slows down
>>> the app significantly
>>> and also this is a serialized process.
>>> So sending mails serially slows down the general delivery
>>
>> it is a bad design sending hughe bulk and "normal" mail-traffic with the
>> same server/ip
>>
>> a) your slowing down problem
>> b) reputation of this machine will be degraded sooner or later
>>

> Why reputation?
> These are mails which partners pay to receive , not spam.
> Also the numbers are not too huge. It could be 50k-100k mails ..Only that
> they have to get sent ideally within 10 minutes .

$ units
2411 units, 71 prefixes, 33 nonlinear units

You have: 100000 seconds
You want: 10 minutes
        * 166.66667
        / 0.006

Unless my quick math is wrong, that's 166 mail messages per second.  I
think that if you're worried about your harddrives not being up to
snuff, you probably won't be sustaining these kinds of numbers.
Especially if the message sizes are larger (ie, containing those
base64 encoded attachments).

Back to reputation, just because the recipient mailbox owner wants the
mail, doesn't mean that the mailbox-owner's postmast will want the
mail if you're bursting a lot of messages to multiple recipients under
the same domain.  "Burstiness" == "spaminess" in certain circles.

If you're serious about this customer, consider placing them on a
dedicated postfix instance, and if you're worried about IO latency,
consider mounting the active queue as a tmpfs or ramdisk if you're
system can support that VM-wise.  But, that can be dangerous, since
you will lose mail if your system goes down while a message is in a
volatile storage mount.

Good luck!