On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 03:46:00PM +0200, Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to understand how duplicate mail elimination works in postfix.
>
> According to previous postings, mails that are duplicated by resolving
> multiple recipient aliases that refer to the same final address cannot
> be suppressed because local(8) doesn't currently handle that case.

Correct.

> However, some kind of deduplication might actually be done, because the
> local(8) man-page tells:

While processing a single local recipient that happens to be an alias,
if alias expansion results in duplicate recipients, the duplicate
is suppressed.

> In my case, I have two aliases:
>
> testgrp1: user
> testgrp2: user
>
> If I send a mail to both groups, it will be delivered twice.

As expected.

> In contrast, if I add a group testgrp12 that contains testgrp1 and
> testgrp2 and send the mail to this address, deduplication works.

As expected.

> I guess thats because in the first case, even though a single local(8)
> process handles both addresses, multiple recipients are apparently
> handled separately.

The same process id is just a low-volume coincidence. The two deliveries
are separate.

> Is there any workaround?

De-duplication at the mail-store level.

--