On 09/02/2011 02:41 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

Red Hat is a commercial distro. They will always do things differently, things that seem strange and sometimes simply stupid to the rest of us. Which is one of the many reasons I don't use a commercial distro. Red Hat cherry picks patches from up and down the kernel source tree and backports them, all the way from 2.6.30 to 3.1 rc1. Many such kernel patches are contributed by RH. I don't know if they do this with applications, but it stands to reason that they would, given what they do with the kernel.

Anyone I know who uses RHEL or Centos soon turns to the well known 3rd party repos which offer handy items like postfix-2.8 rpms. The point is, for any major linux distro, there are a number of easy-peasy ways to run a very up-to-date version of postfix.

Joe