Thanks suomi

On rare occasions I have had to manually mess around with the mail files, ie using an editor to remove a corrupt message messing up pop3. There is one file per user mailbox. One complication I just realized is that I believe the actual user account login information may change, the new server will be running ISPConfig, and I'm not sure how it handles the email account naming. I'll have to check. hopefully the mailbox format has not changed. I'm guessing it probably hasn't.

Cla.

On 9/12/2011 12:02 PM, postfix wrote:
Hi Clarence
we deliver mail into Maildir i.e. one file per mail. The maildirs are usually under /var/spool/maildir.
If I have to copy all of the mail to a new server, i just do

rsync -avure "ssh" /old/maildir/* new_server:/new/maildir

and no problem.

suomi

On 2011-09-12 16:50, Clarence Brown wrote:
Hi all:

I've tried googling, and found a ton of stuff, but nothing specific to
my question. I've got an ancient postfix server with a couple virtual
domains, been chugging along solid and stable for years.

Want to move to a new server at a different IP, Have the old server
forward / transfer any mail collected in it's mail boxes to the new
server, and not have the users have to make any changes to their email
clients or loose any email. Is there any way to tell the OLD Postfix to
grab a user's mail box and forward all the messages in it to that user
at the NEW Postfix?

I'm concerned that if a user last checked email Friday afternoon at
4:00, and I do the switch over say Saturday Night, any email collected
in the interim will be stuck on the old server without manual intervention.

Thanks Cla.

--
Clarence Brown
Granite Ventures, Inc.