On Thursday, October 27, 2011, 13:07:37, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Mark Martinec:
>> Seems like the smtp-sink appends one empty EHLO option
>> at the end of its reply to an ehlo command.
>> Should this be fixed? - my content filter is currently logging
>> a warning, I wonder if I should remove the warning  :)
>>
>> Using postfix-current-2.9.20111012 from FreeBSD ports.
>>
>> $ smtp-sink 127.0.0.1:20025 30
>>
>> $ telnet 127.0.0.1 20025  # connection to smtp-sink
>> 220 smtp-sink ESMTP
>> ehlo test
>> 250-smtp-sink
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-8BITMIME
>> 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
>> 250-XCLIENT NAME HELO
>> 250-XFORWARD NAME ADDR PROTO HELO
>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 250
>> quit
>> 221 Bye
>
> Postfix is written not by imitation, but by following the specification.
> When smtp-sink was written, that specification was RFC 821. In this
> document appears the following text:
>
>      The last line will begin with the reply code, followed
>      immediately by <SP>, optionally some text, and <CRLF>.
>
> If later RFC versions invalidate this aspect of RFC 821, then that
> is unfortunate. I really can't revalidate every line of Postfix
> source code whenever a new RFC comes out.

Nope, RFC 2821 and RFC 5321 still has the same text.

It even goes on to say
  As noted above, servers SHOULD send the <SP> if subsequent text
  is not sent, but clients MUST be prepared for it to be omitted.

--
r...@polylogics.com     "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Rod Dorman              late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh