* pch0317 <pch0...@gmail.com>:
> Hi list,
>
> I would like to create autoresponder functionality in my mail
> system, but I don't know how to start.
> User should turn on/off autoresponder from client application and
> set message text which will be send in autoreply message.
>
> My system work on RHEL 6.1: postfix, dovecot, squirrelmail, users
> are from Active Directory Server 2003. Users work with Thunderbird
> 7, Outlook 2007 and 2010. Users haven't technical knowledge and they
> haven't shell access to server.
>
> How to create autoresponder functionality in my environment.

I take it you mean 'vacation' when you write autoresponder.

There is no vacation plugin that works from within all your clients. The
easiest way will be to offer a webmail client, in your case squirrelmal, that
interfaces with the server to en-/disable vacation.

I recommend you use the managesieve server, it is part of dovecot, and also
enable sieve filtering in dovecot.

The Webmail client will use the managesieve protocol to tell the managesieve
server it should enable vacation. The sieve filter will send a vacation reply
to any sender.

        +------------+  managesieve  +-------------+
        |  Webmail   |+------------> | Dovecot     |
        |------------|  avelsieve    |-------------|
        |            |               |             |
        |            |               |             |
        |            |               | sieve       |
        +------------+               +-------------+
                                      +          +
                                      |          |
                                      |          |
        +------------+    e-mail      |          |
        | sender     | +--------------+          |
        |            |    autoreply              |

I haven't used squirrelmail in a while, but instead of a plugin speaking
managesieve you may need to run Avelsieve <http://email.uoa.gr/avelsieve/> to
create sieve filter rules.

p@rick

justified.