On 11/4/2011 8:44 PM, Noah wrote:
Hi there,

I have problems with a lot of memory needed for indexing my mbox by dovecot and wondering if I transitioned from mbox to Maildir if that would help with the indexing processing? If so is there a good tutorial for moving postfix from mbox to Maildir?

Cheers,

Noah
Noah,

I used a program called imapsync. So far it has moved complete IMAP folder structures and emails from mbox to Maildir. Flags (read/unread/etc) were kept. It has done a really good job with very few errors. Mostly, clients who created folders that aren't acceptable between my Sendmail mbox systems and my Postfix Maildir systems.

Speed increase has been revolutionary! Same with the reduction in server loads. Also makes feasible rsync backups of users' emails.

There are a number of packagers providing imapsync for major Linux flavors. It is a command line operation... basically calling the script and feeding host1, user1, password1 to host2,user2, password2. It then outputs results as they happen and gives a report at the end with total errors reported.

If you are going to make the transition on the live single system, I'm not sure imapsync can do it. There are other scripts for that. Google is your friend.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502