On Wednesday 16 November 2011 03:03:42 Frank Bonnet wrote:
> I have to setup a "virtual" postfix server and I wonder what would
> be the best / most efficient choice for the DB backend ?

"Best" is subjective. All choices have good and bad points. Local
files, however, have the advantage of not relying on another running
process.

My small server has a few virtual(8) domains with a sqlite backend.
I'm also keeping other maps, including virtual(5), aliases(5), and
access(5) lookups in sqlite. I'm very pleased with it.

The one "gotcha" to watch for is that sqlite does not have the
sophisticated access control that a real RDBMS would have. I had to
rely on filesystem permissions. I have the file as root:root 644, but
hardlinked in directories which are restricted:
  drwxr-x--- 2 root dovecot 4096 Jul 16 00:14 /etc/dovecot/private/
  drwxr-x--- 2 root postfix 4096 Jul 16 00:14 /etc/postfix/private/
  /etc/postfix/private:
  -rw-r--r-- 2 root root  46080 Nov 15 03:21 mail.sqlite
Yes, that one file contains all the Postfix and Dovecot data, other
than local_recipient_maps.

No, I do not know of a ready-made GUI frontend, but surely there are
generic sqlite frontends which might meet your needs. I'm just typing
SQL commands in sqlite3(1) in a shell.