On 17 November 2011 14:02, Dennis Carr <dennistheti...@chez-vrolet.net> wrote:
> I'm about to do a migration from one server to another - old server runs
> Debian Lenny, new one runs Squeeze, both with respective current versions of
> postfix.
>
> Long and short is that I'm basically preparing to migrate everything,
> including users and a mailman configuration, to the new box.  Basic strategy
> I have is to shut down smtp on the old server during the course of the
> migration, and once postfix is configured on the new box with the users and
> mailman aliases, switch the old box over to being a secondary mx for a few
> days while DNS settles down.
>
> Is there a better way to do this, or some sort of online guide I can follow
> that can guide me through the process?

I'm pretty much the last person who's approach you should listen too,
but this is how I did it.
You don't say if the mbox/maildirs are also on the same server.  If
not, this could be easier for you.

-  Copy over the configuration and start the service
-  Optionally rsync any mailboxes/maildirs
-  Confirm delivery is working through the new system
-  Change over the DNS to point to the new box (MX 10) and the old one
as backup (MX 20)
-  When mails start hitting the new one (probably around 2 hours
depending on your DNS TTL, turn off the old one.
-  Optionally rsync (with a --delete option) any maildir/mailboxes for
any mail that was delivered between the DNS switch and turning off the
old server.

Simon