On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM, email builder <emailbuilde...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> With the home domain, I use rsync for daily backups, and "whole
>>> system" dump to USB drive for (PGP-encrypted) off-site backup.
>>>
>>I myself use a dockstar running openwrt and a 2TB WD drive as linux/unix
>>and time machine backup.
>
> Cool, never heard of Dockstar before.  Thanks for the hint.  Does using
> Openwrt
> with it help you use its network features without having to pay their
> subscription
> and route all your access through their servers?

      dockstar is a plug computer on the same lines as the pogoplug,
guruplug, sheevaplug, etc. I bought three of them when they used to be
$25 a pop, but that was a while ago. The pogoplug with wifi is around
$50 at the usual places and can run openwrt... or even debian if you
are willing to use an usb drive to put it in. So what I did on it in
principle will work for all of them. I replaced the factory OS
firmware with openwrt so now it is a standalone setup that cares
nothing about their online service.

Something like that should suffice to be a local backup. If you want,
you can have it do some incremental backup to its local HD (hourly
until filling the HD and then deleting the oldest? It is really up to
you) and then to a remote location (amazon, a backup server you
created and put in an undisclosed location once a day or thereabouts
using some bandwidth throttling. Think this way: it has an entire day
to do the remote backup dance.

Honestly, even with disk level encryption the dockstar is not breaking a sweat.

Power consumption is 10W max for my backup setup. This matters a lot to me.