On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 08:19:18AM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Thursday 15 December 2011 07:53:35 Tomas Macek wrote:
> > I'd like to use postcreen as some kind of spam protection.
> > According to documentation
> >
> > * postscreen(8) should not be used on SMTP ports that receive mail
> > from end-user clients (MUAs). In a typical deployment,
> > postscreen(8) is used on the "port 25" service, while MUA clients
> > submit mail via the submission service (port 587) which normally
> > requires client authentication.
> >

> > But we have clients, that send mails on both port 25 and 587. I
> > really cannot use postscreen? I don't understand why exactly.
> > What will happen if I use it?
>
> You might reject some MUA clients, and if using after-220 tests, you
> will be getting phone calls from confused users.

Btw:

I am thinking to use postscreen with mail submission server as well since
its rbl check seems to be better in performance than using smtpd's one.
Since I want also block some of the IPs even in case of mail submission (eg:
user's account is stolen etc) with an own hosted BL for this purpose, I
guess it's not a problem to use postscreen in case of mail submission, if I
don't use other features of postscreen too much - at least not for mail
submission. Is it a good idea at all?