On Tuesday 20 December 2011 12:35:40 Roberto Greiner wrote:
> I'm trying to create a /dev/null mailbox, but didn't get much
> success following the recipe at
> http://www.serverwatch.com/columns/article.php/3844371/Forwarding-a
> -Postfix-Virtual-Alias-to-devnull.htm
>
> What I did was following:
> - Add a "blackhole" alias in /etc/aliases (blackhole: /dev/null),
> an ran "newaliases" to validate it.

Okay so far, except that the concept of discarding mail is generally
not a good idea. Why do you want to do that? What would be wrong with
rejecting that address?

That said, as P@rick points out, we do have a discard(8) delivery
agent which can be directed to using transport(5) maps.

http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html
http://www.postfix.org/discard.8.html
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_maps

> - Added the following in mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf:
>    no-reply@<my domaind> = blackhole

This sounds wrong. Furthermore, it is not a good idea to use a bare
username in place of a full email address. You should have used
"blackh...@some.domain.listed.in.mydestination".

See virtual(5) for the format of virtual_alias_maps lookup keys and
results. See mysql_table(5) for the details of setting up a query in
Postfix. See MySQL documentation for information about setting up a
database in mysql.

http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html
http://www.postfix.org/mysql_table.5.html
http://www.mysql.com/

> - Ran:
>    postmap /usr/local/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf (it's

You do not compile a query file with postmap. But, you can use postmap
to test your lookups.

http://www.postfix.org/postmap.1.html

> a FreeBSD platform)
> - Restarted Postfix.

Not necessary.

> Sending an email to no-reply@<my_domain> got me the following error
> message in /var/log/maillog:
> NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[<my_ip>]: 450 4.1.1
> <no-reply@<my_domain>>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> virtual mailbox table; from=<<my email address>> to=<no-reply@<my
> domain>> proto=ESMTP helo=<[<my_ip>]>

The munged-out domain is in virtual_mailbox_domains, but the address
no-reply@<my_domain> is not listed in virtual_mailbox_maps.

> I tried adding the same entry from mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf into
> mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf, but no success either. Also, just in

Those sound like they are database queries, not actual map files.

> case, the same page above mentions that adding a valid user for the
> aliases might be necessary. Didn't help either.
>
> Any ideas would be welcome.

If this doesn't help, http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
tells you how to post here such that you can get more useful answers.
Also, it might be difficult to figure out a mail routing issue where
you have munged the domains.

> PS: My setup is the following:
> FreeBSD 7.2 machine
> Postfix 2.8.2
> Postfixadmin 2.3.2
>

> main.cf has at the end the following entries:
> ## MySQL access
> virtual_alias_maps =
> mysql:/usr/local/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

Yup, if this is right, it's a query file.