On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:

> On 12/24/2011 9:37 PM, Nick Edwards wrote:
> > Merry Christmas All!
> >
> > I am wondering why I have two different errors for same reason?
> >
> > : NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[41.203.141.1]: 450 4.7.1 Client
> > host rejected: cannot find your hostname,
> >
> > : NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[115.153.142.125]: 550 5.7.1
> > Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname
> >
> > I would prefer all of these 5xx
> >
> > But there appears to be two different checks here reporting the same
> > reason.
>
> Both these messages are from reject_unknown_client_hostname.  Maybe
> consulting the docs will give a clue as to why one is 4xx and one is
> 5xx.
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname

thanks, guess I am too used to qmail and expected a different response for
a different fail

> Also note that this restriction is known to reject a considerable
> amount of legit mail.  Use with caution.

True, but having used it since I became a SP admin, mostly due to places I
worked at always already using it and their admins some of which have been
mail admins for over twenty years, sticking by it, say and I too have
found,  the benefits have always outweighed the risks.
As is the words of my first mentor "why is it our problem, if the sender is
not RFC compliant"

All the best