On 2011-12-26 5:46 AM, Nick Edwards <nick.z.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>> Show the entire log snippet, of which you elided important parts.

> no, I did not, all I did not include was the from/to/helo, from/to
> are irrelevant and the helo, I already mentioned the 5xx resolved and
> the 4xx did not

What you *think* may be irrelevant is very often *very* relevant.

>> Show the output of 'postconf -n' instead of cut & pasting from your
>> main.cf <http://main.cf>.

> Why? The information above is all that is needed as relevant, nothing
> else in postconf output would, apart from sticky beaks wanting to
> know the ins and outs of everyones configs when it clearly is not
> needed, reveal any further information related to this,

One of the main things it will reveal is whether or not you are using the config that you *think* you are using. It is a very common error for someone to be editing the wrong main.cf (a secondary one that is somewhere else that is not actually being read/used by the running version of postfix), and using postconf -n output will *always* show what is actually being used - and there is generally nothing there that if posted to the list would result in any security risk to your system.

The last reason to post *full* logs of the problem transaction *and* full postconf -n output (feel free to anonymize domain names/IP addresses if you like *after* you have confirmed that they are actually correct, but that is almost always not necessary either - security through obscurity only leads to a *false* sense of security) is simple - that is the bare minimum of info that is needed for anyone here to be able to *help* you with any level of certainty, and that is why the welcome message you got when you joined this list instructs you to provide said info.