On Thu, 29 Dec 2011, Barbara M. wrote:

My plan is to update Postfix (and dovecot, procmail), in the old box to the release in the new box and when tested, move user/data to the new box (new box is 64 bit while old box is 32 bit, but hope this isn't a problem). Copying the old /etc/postfix dir to the new server and restarting the service seems work well (not tested local delivery, procmail, ...).

There is some guidolines that I can study/follow to have a painless migration?

Funny, I just did a server migration. =)

Caveat: I don't run CentOS (which is Red Hat based), I run Debian.

I wound up doing a dist-upgrade for my old server to bring it up to current Stable (Squeeze), to make sure that everything was on par with what's current in the latest version of Postfix, and then pretty much ported over my requisite files - straight copy of /etc/postfix aliases, and hand alteration of the existing main.cf. I didn't port over master.cf because the new one contained features than what I already had in place. (Much of my configuration was current back in '03, when that server first came up under Mandrake. Those were the days....)

This said, if it's possible, I'd highly recommend doing an in-place version upgrade for the distribution you're using - but to avoid killing the server, make sure you can downgrade, that it's not going to break, or that you have a fallback if necessary. I have no idea what CentOS will do if you do such a thing, so check with their support channels before you go that route and find out what to do in order to avoid blowing up that server.

-Dennis