I could sure use it!

TMDA when generating challenge messages sends a 'From:' based on the $RECIPIENT
variable.  Unfortunately, my primary addresses are all aliases, where I'd like
those to be canonical, and $RECIPIENT is post-expansion.  With the documented
ORIGINAL_RECIPIENT to hand, this isn't a big deal until TMDA gets fixed - write
a quick wrapper script that calls TMDA with $RECIPIENT set equal to
$ORIGINAL_RECIPIENT.  However, it isn't set, even where the destination address
of the email and the expanded address are clearly different.

There's another thought, but I don't know which is safest.  Because the aliases
are all constant addresses after expansion in the 'From:' headers, and don't
contain any extension characters, couldn't I put it into canonical(5) maps?
There'd be no interference from SMTP server or clients, and I could always
restrict it to just sender header (messages go out with <> envelope).  The only
question then is: how do I prevent mail arriving with the aliases expanded over
SMTP from remote clients from themselves getting rewritten?

Or, I could play with the recipient address of mail inbound.  Which does
cleanup prioritise, alias expansion or canonical maps?  I could undo the
$RECIPIENT expansion for the benefit of TMDA for just those aliases using it.

Cheers,
Sabahattin