%x  When the input key is an address of the form
    user+extension@domain, %x is replaced by the SQL
    quoted recipient_delimiter and extension of the
    local  part  of the address.  Otherwise, %x is
    empty. If the localpart is empty, the query is
    suppressed and returns no results.

and also as a result format. Among other amazing uses, this would
enable automatic sorting of virtual(8) mail to subfolders based on
extension:

query = select (coalesce(path, '%d/%u/%x/') from VMailboxes ...
        where localpart || '%x' || '@' || domain is '%s'

(I doubt that example would work with imapds as is, but surely a
conditional expression could do the trick.)

I know it's too late for Postfix 2.9, but is this possible? Does it
make sense, or would it need too drastic a rewrite?