>>  We use a modified version as a HELO blacklist. This avoids the false

>>  positives we saw while testing it as a reverse DNS restriction but,
>>  because the use of the reverse hostname as the HELO string is a
>>  common pattern in spam attempts from compromised hosts, it's still
>>  very effective.
>>
>>  It's a 'check_helo_access' restriction in our
>>  'smtpd_recipient_restrictions', and sits right before our RBL
> checks,
>>  where it has blocked 17235 attempts so far this year, with zero false
>>  positives since we started using it, in November somewhere.
>
> Interesting... can you provide specific details on what you mean by
> 'modified version'?

I second that.  I'm feeling convinced enough to use it as it was
intended, BUT ideally, I don't desire rejecting even those stubborn
people who insist on running their email server from their bedroom
without relaying through their ISP.

Do you have a script that modifies the list into whatever format your
method requires?

Does anyone have any comments on the efficacy of this method?

I assume all it would take is for bots to change the way they
create their HELO hostname to bypass this.