On 2012-01-13 6:18 PM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
As fqrdns.pcre has been a topic recently, I feel this needs to be stated
again, for those of you who have missed previous threads on this topic.

1.  Postscreen rejects most bots BEFORE they reach smtpd processes
     (fqrdns.pcre is evaluated by smtpd)
2.  AFAIK postscreen never FP's
3.  postscreen consumes very little resources

*Therefore postscreen is preferred over fqrdns.pcre for rejecting bots.*

You can still run fqrdns.pcre in tandem behind postscreen, in
smtpd_*_restrictions, but it will likely reject few bots.  It may
however still block non-bot spam coming direct to MX from
consumerish/broadband sources.

For those not running postscreen, fqrdns.pcre will work as it always has.

I'd be *very* interested in seeing some stats from a *busy* server, to see how many hits - if any - fqrdns.pcre has running behind postscreen...

Also, Stan - would would be interested in seeing some comparisons of postscreen configurations. I haven't implemented it yet (we use an outsourced anti-spam service currently), but am interested in trying it out to see if we can lose that service permanently now.

--

Best regards,

Charles