Casartello, Thomas:
> We have been getting user complaints about the inability to send
> email to Apple MobileMe addresses. In our logs we are getting:
>
> lost connection with mx6.mac.com.akadns.net[17.172.36.34] while
> receiving the initial server greeting .
>
> When I do a telnet SMTP session from the box to their server, I
> notice that their server does not send  an initial 220 message
> until I send some kind of command, even just typing enter in the
> session, it will then send the 220 message.

When I connect, the server replies immediately, as one would
expect by the rules of the SMTP protocol:

% telnet 17.172.36.34 smtp
Trying 17.172.36.34...
Connected to st11b01-smtp-mx3.mac.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 st11b01mm-smtpin208.mac.com -- Server ESMTP (Oracle Communications
Messaging Server 7u4-23.01(7.0.4.23.0) 64bit (built Aug 10 2011))
quit
221 2.3.0 Bye received. Goodbye.
Connection closed by foreign host.

>  Thinking that postfix
> must wait to get that 220 message before trying to send any commands.
> Anyone else had this kind of issue? I did notice when I do a  telnet
> SMTP session to that server from my workstation (a Windows machine)
> I get the 220 message when it connects.

Perhaps they have blacklisted your IP address, because it was sending
spam or malware from an infected machine.