Am 03.02.2012 13:45, schrieb Alex:
> I had previously done something like this with iptables, but it was
> mostly ineffective:
>
> iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m recent
> --set
> iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m
> recent --update --seconds 20 --hitcount 5 -j DROP

why in the world do you DROP here instead notify the remote
machine with REJECT that you did not accept the connection?

DROP is nice for NULL-Portscans and such things but even
useless for protscan-triggers and blocking after that
any incoming connection for some seconds because you
let run the remote machine in a timeout and after that
your blocking on other ports has also timeouted

on the other hand the following exists in postfix

anvil_rate_time_unit                                = 1800s
smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit                  = 50