Hi Everyone,

We are using postfix as an edge mx gateway for incoming mails.

Our company has 3 domain names (@abpni.co.uk, @abpni.com, @abpni.net). @abpni.co.uk is our main domain.

Each user may have a few "aliases". I list these aliases in the table which virtual_alias_maps points to. To take my name as an example (which has many spellings!), I list the following:

john...@abpni.co.uk jon...@abpni.co.uk
jo...@abpni.co.uk jon...@abpni.co.uk
joh...@abpni.co.uk jon...@abpni.co.uk

(Note that jon...@abpni.co.uk is my "real" user account which is hosted on another mail server)

I also want all 3 of our domains to be able to be used, so at the top of the virtual alias map file I put:
@abpni.com @abpni.co.uk
@abpni.net @abpni.co.uk

However, I also want to prevent backscatter, so I list all valid address explicitly in the table which relay_recipient_maps points to:

jon...@abpni.co.uk
john...@abpni.co.uk
jo...@abpni.co.uk
joh...@abpni.co.uk
jon...@abpni.com
john...@abpni.com
jo...@abpni.com
joh...@abpni.com
jon...@abpni.net
john...@abpni.net
jo...@abpni.net
joh...@abpni.net

However, the mere fact that the catch-all aliases are listed in the virtual alias map prevents my anti-backscatter plan from working for @abpni.com @abpni.net.

Do I have to list each address explicitly in the virtual alias map as well?

Thanks