--On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 3:03 PM -0600 Larry Stone <lston...@stonejongleux.com> wrote:

An aside in this: why is this so important for you? What's wrong with
using a text editor to clean up main.cf? Until this thread came along, I
didn't even know you could use postconf to edit main.cf; I've always used
a text editor. And I consider that a plus since it lets me add comments
and group things in a logical fashion.

Hi Larry,

We have automated processes that enable/disable features for our users, including policyd. Previously, we could just set policy_time_limit via postconf, and ignore it, since no error was thrown. Now that an error is thrown, I had to change the logic to only set it if the feature is enabled. However, if a client were to enable/disable/enable (for whatever reason, clients do do things like this...), the undesired behavior would occur. Since all of this is handled automatically by scripts that use postconf as the interface to configuring postfix, manually editing by hand doesn't work too well. ;) Certainly "sed" could be used, but having the ability to do this via postconf is preferred. And Wietse was kind enough to just add a feature to do just that. :)

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff