On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> Dan Lists:
>> How much traffic can postscreen handle?   Each mail server in our
>> cluster handles 800,000 to 1,000,000 messages per day.  We typically
>
> This is mainly limited by the whitelist database latency: the
> time needed to decide that a client is OK, and to hand off the
> connection to a real SMTP server process.
>
> In your example, postscreen would have to be able to do 10 lookups
> a second, but we all know that mail is not spread out evenly over
> a day, so 100 lookups/second would be more appropriate.
>
> If the number of distinct clients is not overwhelmingly large,
> putting a memcache between postscreen and the persistent whitelist
> database will help to reduce whitelist lookup latency.

I assume you are referring to the temporary whitelist.  I do not see
any way to configure what is uses to store the temporary whitelist.
Is it configurable?   Is there any way to share the temp whitelist
between multiple servers?

>> have 60-120 smptd processes, with peaks as high as 320.  Adding a
>> greeting delay will result in a lot of open connections.  Can
>> postscreen handle this volume even with the postscreen_greet_wait
>> value of 6 seconds?  Would I need to use drop instead of enforce on my
>> actions?
>
> postscreen does not wait 6 seconds on all connections; that
> would be a terrible mistake.

Every connection not in the whitelist or a blacklist sees the delay,
correct? We get connections from around 250,000 different IPs per day,
most of which are blacklisted.

Thanks!

Dan