On 03/14/2012 04:19 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm currently running a pretty basic high-availability configuration for our mail server (postfix) - it simply runs in a Xen virtual machine, with mirrored disks across two machines (DRBD), and failover of the VM if something goes wrong (pacemaker).

I'm thinking about migrating the failover host to a 2nd datacenter - which makes disk mirroring and VM migration a bit trickier, and I really don't like how brittle all that infrastructure is, so I'm starting to think about application layer redundancy - two mailservers, at remote locations, multiple DNS records, and doing something to replicate ques, configurations, and local delivery. The goal is the same: keep processing mail if a machine goes down, and don't lose any data to machine or disk crashes.

Which leads to a question: Are any of you running such a configuration? If so, can you describe what you're doing? And.. are there any good references, presentations, etc. that anybody knows about re. building high-availability, scalable, distributed mail processing infrastructure?

Thank you very much,

Miles Fidelman

SMTP is designed to be redundant from the ground up; that's why you have multiple MX records.

Any reasonable arguments why just running multiple MTAs does not work for you ?

--
J.