Brian

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012, at 04:09 PM, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
> > It looks to me like it's being handled as two separate transactions
> > where one gets discarded and one passes through.
>
> This is a case of your "provider" trying to be "helpful" and splitting each
> recipient into a new message.
> The second message does not include the discarded recipient, so Postfix
> accepts it.

So those really ARE two separate connections from the outside :-/

That didn't dawn on me as possible or likley.  My own server/mailer
never do that.  Seems like it'd be work to get it to do that.  That
would sure explain it though.  Just looking at the postfix logs I didn't
know that that wasn't somehow Postfix doing it as a result of my config.

Unless my helpful provider adds some detectable header info, I guess
that once the recipients are split that Postfix has no way to detect
that the two connections are correlated to one another.  So for mail
from this provider I have to live with it unless they fix it.

Do you know if that kind of recipient-splitting is specifically
disallowed by any RFC?

In the meantime I dug up a dusty gmail account and redid the mail send
test to both recipients.  This time one connection, one DISCARD, nothing
gets delivered.  That's what I hoped for in the first place.

Cheers

Niemh