Just following up to close this discussion.

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 09:35:24 -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Sahil Tandon:
> >  May  5 10:00:26 mx1 postfix/postscreen[38500]: warning: psc_dnsbl_request:
> > connect to private/dnsblog service: Connection refused
> >  May  5 10:00:26 mx1 last message repeated 8 times
> dnsblog results.
> Whatever this problem may be, it should be easy enough to re-create
> with "smtp-source -A" by setting up a dummy postfix instance with:
>
> - pregreet turned off
> - the smallest-possible greet-wait
> - sending dnsbl queries to a wild-card local DNS server
>
> This will reduce sharing of DNSBL results between multiple SMTP
> sesssions (and thus increase the DNSBL lookup rate).

I could not reproduce the warning with smtp-source, but FWIW it recurs
daily -- with varying frequency -- on the production MX.  I enabled
verbose logging for dnsblog(8) and postscreen(8) for a few hours, and
could not[*] glean anything useful from the logging that precedes the
warning.

Anyway, this is not a major problem for me, but rather something that
aroused curiosity.  So, we needn't waste any more time on it. :)
However, if someone else happens to experience a similar issue in the
future, I'd be happy to compare logs (both verbose and otherwise)
off-list.

[*] This is likely due to lack of clue.

--
Sahil Tandon