On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 11:16:27PM +1000, Phill Macey wrote:

> On 14/05/2012 5:29 AM, "Wietse Venema" <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> >

> > > The fix is easy: report both the first and last line number.
> > >
> > >     % postconf -c /tmp
> > >     postconf: fatal: /tmp/main.cf, line 1:2: missing '=' after
> > >     attribute name: "some random free text"
> >

> Dunno about everyone else but when I see 'line 1:2' I tend to think  line 1
> character 2. Why not use 'line 1-2' to specify a range instead?

How about a utf-8 ndash? :-) (Or for the TeXperts: "--")

The code for the snapshot release will probably use the plural
"lines" rather than the singular "line", when there is more than
one line involved, and will likely omit the second number when
there is only one line. At that point the choice of ":" vs. "-" vs.
"--" will be unimportant.

--
        Viktor.

[ On Terrence Tao's blog post outlining his recent proof that "every
odd number larger than 1 is the sum of at most five primes" an
anonymous troll decided to post a comment to the effect that the
statement is ambiguous (or wrong) and say

        41 = 2 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 11 + 13

is the sum of six primes. One can willfully overload almost any
natural language statement. In practice, the text just needs to be
sufficiently clear to the intended audience. ]

https://terrytao.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/every-odd-integer-larger-than-1-is-the-sum-of-at-most-five-primes/#comment-125910