On 05/14/2012 07:39 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
Hello,

From certain clients I see in the logs (true IP address / DNS name replaced):

May 14 18:36:57 mailserver postfix/submission/smtpd[21317]: timeout after END-OF-MESSAGE from workstation1.office.example.com [10.10.11.12] May 14 18:36:57 mailserverpostfix/submission/smtpd[21317]: disconnect from workstation1.office.example.com [10.10.11.12]

These clients connect (using STARTTLS, port 587), authenticate (SASL auth) and submit mail successfully, but, obviously, do not disconnect normally and they timeout and are disconnected by the server (Postfix) after a timeout period which I see is 5 minutes.

Okay.

Is this a known behavior of some clients (I suspect it may be Mac Mail) under certain circumstances?

Does something go wrong due to this (default) behaviour ?

If postfix says the message was accepted, that would be the end of it; the SMTP timeout is *precisely* to keep clients like these from hogging expensive SMTPD connections.

It's the whole reason to set timeouts in the first place - every known networking protocol uses time limits to protect against resource abuse.

--
J.