On Wed, June 13, 2012 12:23, Wietse Venema wrote:
> James B. Byrne:
>> Given the requirement for the transport map on the MX hosts does the
>> relay_domains value need to be set at all?
>
> If the destination is not on the machine itself, the destination
> should be listed in relay_domains.

Thank you for the clarification.  I understand from reading the
documentation all that relays_domains contains is a list of those
domains for which Postfix will accept mail and either deliver or
forward.  My confusion arises from our requirement to use transport
maps to effect forwarding to a specific host without using MX data.

> transport_maps is not a substitute for relay_domains

I will retain the relay_domains list as you advise. However, it
appears that transport map configuration nonetheless works for domains
without an entry in the relays_domains list, thus my inquiry.  Is this
simply happenstance?  Is there some exception or failure condition
that may occur if a domain listed in the transport map as using the
relay transport does not also have an entry in the relay_domains list?

> There are some useful hints and tips in the firewall/gateway
> example in STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html

I have gone through this reference (among many others) repeatedly this
past few weeks. I fear I presently lack the experience to relate much
of what I read there to what actually is going on.  I have managed to
get the new setup working insofar as I can tell.  Now I am going over
everything I have done in an attempt to understand which bits were
necessary and which were not.

James B. Byrne                mailto:byrn...@harte-lyne.ca
Canada  L8E 3C3