On 6/26/2012 8:35 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I now have this working properly for a test account.  It seems to me
> now that many of my difficulties stem from trying to map Sendmail
> techniques to Postfix.
>
> I am now considering the relationship between /etc/postfix/virtual and
> /etc/postfix/relay_domains.  To deliver email to a local mailbox where
> the mailbox_transport has been defined, as is the case when delivering
> to cyrus-imapd users, the address must be defined in either the
> local_recipients_maps or the virtual_aliases_maps.

Yes.  By default, postfix validates local users, so those users must
be listed somewhere.  It is possible -- but strongly discouraged --
to disable this validation.
http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html

> Further, it seems
> that domains other than the host's domain must be specified in both
> virtual_alias_domains and relay_domains.

Untrue.  Domains postfix is responsible for should be listed in
exactly one address class.

> From my readings of the various bits of documentation it appears that
> the virtual domains and the virtual aliases may reside in the same
> map.
>
> Thus this is possible in /etc/postfix/virtual:
>
> # These are the virtual domains
> example.com                -
> .example.com               -
>
> # These are the virtual aliases
> firstu...@example.com      firstuser
> @example.com               mailbag

This is the "old way" of defining virtual alias domains used in
postfix v1, but still supported so as to not break systems that upgrade.

New installations are strongly encouraged to use
virtual_alias_domains rather than overloading virtual_alias_maps.

> However, for Postfix to accept the mail for a virtual domain int he
> first place it seems to me that domain must be given to the
> relay_domain variable.

Untrue.

> why the distinction between virtual_domains and virtual_aliases_map?

http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

  -- Noel Jones