Am 07.08.2012 22:03, schrieb tobi:

> Am 07.08.2012 20:04, schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
>> The first thing you need to do is define for us what "protect
>> backup-mx servers" means.  What, exactly, do you want to protect
>> them from?
>>

> Sorry if my intention was only clear to myself ;-)
> I want to prevent clients from connecting my backup-mx as long as the
> main-mx is up and running. Like spammers sometimes try by connecting
> directly to a backup-mx instead trying main-mx first.

be carfeul with such things

that you primary MX is up from the connection of your
backup-MX means virtually nothing because this does
not mean it is also from the route the delivering MTA
takes

i have a practical example where i would 100% say it is
impossible if someone tells me the same:

* Class C IP-Range
* two IP-Addresses on the same server
* one customer with a website on both ip-addresses
* customer has one www-domain and another domain with ip-based SSL host

our ISP had terrible routing problems from and to all sort of
networks over some hours caused by a dying core-router

my customer was sitting in his office on the same machine and
was able to connect to 91.118.73.6 without any problem while
he could not connect to 91.118.73.7 from the same machine while
other customers could even not connect to 91.118.73.6

so we had

* the same client
* the same network hardware on the client side
* the same ISP on the client side
* the same ISp on oour side
* the same route
* the same network hardware on our side
* even the same physical server on our side
* after ISP has solved his troubles all went to normal operations

so nobody can explain me how this was possible
but this shows me that make the decision "my primary MX is up"
is finally danherous and says virtually nothing if he is
up for any incoming connect from somewhere else and if the
primary MX is down from the delivering MTA he is absolutely
right to try the backup-MX!