On Friday, November 23, 2012 09:29:08 PM Glenn Park wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Scott Kitterman <post...@kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > On Friday, November 23, 2012 07:55:57 PM Glenn Park wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> When I install Postfix using aptitude on a fresh Debian system, an
> >> interactive GUI comes up asking me how it wants me to configure
> >> postfix.  I'd like to suppress this interface and make it default to
> >> "No configuration" (I am automating the installation and have my own
> >> configuration files, thank you).  However I can find nothing
> >> documented that allows me to do this.  Can anyone help?
> >
> > There are some assumptions built into the way the postfix packaging
> > interact with debconf that make this a risky thing to do.  See (Debian
> > and Ubuntu are the same in this regard):
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/postfix/+bug/1027061
>
> Pardon my lack of understanding here (I did read that whole
> conversation), but I'm a little hazy on what the problem is.  What's
> the difference between giving a "No Configuration" answer ahead of
> time/by default and doing it with the GUI that is presented?  But are
> you saying that it's impossible to suppress anyway?
>
> Rather, you seem to be suggesting that upon update, we may see our
> configuration changed out from under us?  We are not using puppet or
> anything like that.  Config is by hand.

Yes.  The postfix package is designed to be configured by the debconf (Debian
Configuration) system.  If, in the internal status of the debconf system,
postfix is marked as "No configuration" via there being no status entry, so
there's currently no way to distinguish between "desired configuration is 'No
configuration'" and "Don't do anything, something else will handle it."

I have not had time to research this issue.  I expect it's reasonably
tractable to fix, but I don't know when I'll be able to get to it.

What I usually do is pick "Internet site" and then modify things from there.
If you do that once, even if you copy your config files over the provided ones,
you won't have to worry about your changes getting reverted.

Scott K