Solved! It WAS a bad download. I downloaded both the tarball and the
.sig file and got the following:

gpg: Signature made Wed Aug  1 15:14:44 2012 PDT using RSA key ID C12BCD99
gpg: Good signature from "Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org>"
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: FF 96 4A 8C 96 88 7C 6E  A4 EF AD BF 48 34 E1 BB

Bastian:
What do you mean, "You want to generate yourself a key in the more
modern v4 version, which is available since at least 1998, regardless
if it is a RSA or DSA key."

Are you suggesting *I* generate a key or Wietse should generate a new
key and sign the tarballs with?

Ed