Dan Lists:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:
> > Dan Lists:
> >> Nov 30 10:39:59 server postfix/local[50947]: warning: error looking up
> >> passwd info for user: Invalid argument
> >
> > The getpwnam_r() SYSTEM LIBRARY ROUTINE reports an error,
> > with errno set to EINVAL (Invalid argument).
> >
> > Find out why the SYSTEM LIBRARY ROUTINE reports this error.
> >

> If the user name is longer that 16 chars and the user does not exist,
> getpwnam_r() returns EINVAL.  If the user exists, it works fine
> regardless of the length.  I saw a report of this same behavior with
> dovecot.  There is a patch to dovecot to fix it.

Why not submit a fix to have getpwnam_r fixed instead?  If a system
library function returns an undefined error code, then that is a BUG.

> Does postfix need to treat the EINVAL as if the user does not exist?
> Is there a way to change the behavior of getpwnam*?

EINVAL is not a documented result code.
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/getpwnam.html

Postfix is built accoirding to standards, not by tinkering with
library calls and guessing what the result means.