Am 09.01.2013 02:57, schrieb Viktor Dukhovni:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 10:02:31PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> Am 08.01.2013 21:40, schrieb Wietse Venema:
>>> My conclusion is that Postfix can continue to provide basic policies
>>> that avoid worst-case failure modes, but the choice of the settings
>>> that control those policies is better left to the operator. If the
>>> receiver slams on the brakes, then Postfix can suspend deliveries,
>>> but the sender operator will have to adjust the sending rate.
>>
>> exactly this is the point
>>
>> thank you for your understanding and thoughts!
>
> Suspending delivery and punting all messages from the active queue
> for the designated nexthop is not a winning strategy. In this state
> mail delivery to the destination is in most cases unlikely to
> recover without manual intervention.

it is in the usecase of a DEDICATED newsletter relay
why should it not recover?

the request was "after 20 temp fails to the same destination
retry the next delivers to THIS destination FIVE MINUTES later"

> I would posit that neither Reindl nor the OP, or that many others
> really understand what they are asking for. If they understood,
> they would stop asking for it.

i would posit you do not understand the usecase

> When faced with a destination that imposes tight rate limits you
> must pre-configure your MTA to always stay under the limits. Nothing
> good happens when the Postfix output rate under load exceeds the
> remote limit whether you throttle the queue repeatedly or not

smtp_destination_recipient_limit                  = 15
smtp_initial_destination_concurrency              = 2
smtp_destination_concurrency_limit                = 2
smtp_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit  = 5
smtp_destination_rate_delay                       = 1

so what should one do more?
the sending machine is whitelisted at the ISP
but the whitelisting does not affect rate-limits

and yes we do not care if a newsletter has reached every RCPT
two hours later but we do care for reputation and not exceed
rate limits of large ISP's