--On Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:17 PM -0600 Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:

On 1/17/2013 4:42 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

With testing, I have the following for 465/submission.  Thanks again
for the pointers!  I used reject_unauth_destination because with
just "reject", some of my mail tests failed.

That implies you were sending unauthenticated mail to a local domain
via smtps.  As a general rule, that's something you want to prevent
since it bypasses all your carefully crafted antispam controls.  I
have seen a few attempts to deliver spammy-looking unauthenticated
mail via smtps/465, haven't noticed it on submission/587 (but never
really looked for it).

So reject_unauth_destination is OK for testing, but for production I
would strongly suggest leaving it at reject.

If you need to send unauthenticated mail over smtps/submission on an
ongoing basis, you can define a very limited -o mynetworks=...
setting and add permit_mynetworks before the reject.

Hi Noel,

Thanks again. There was a problem with my simple test script (it wasn't actually authenticating). I fixed that, and "reject" is definitely what I want.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Sr. Member of Technical Staff