On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Bob Cohen wrote:

> Follows are several maillog entries. I'm not clear on how to read them.
>
> warning: restriction `reject_rbl_client' after `permit' is ignored
>
> Does this mean, Postfix rejected an email based on the
> reject_rbl_client rule, which was placed in the main.cf after the
> permit. And, Postfix is ignoring the warning?

Postfix is *issuing* the warning, it takes a flight of fancy to
think Postfix is ignoring the warning. When Postfix warns you that:

        "thing Y after [thing] X is ignored"

it means what it says: Thing Y which occurs after thing X is [always]
ignored. Therefore, a configuration with thing Y after thing X is
likely the result of confusion or a careless error.

In this case confusion. Restrictions are evaluated in order, don't
modify Postfix restrictions until you understand how they work.

Perhaps this will help:

        http://jimsun.linxnet.com/misc/postfix-anti-UCE.txt

DO NOT parrot any of the specific examples in the guide, rather
read it ONLY for its explanation of how restrictions work, using
the specific examples only to help you understand the general rules.
The explanator material starts with:

        General Notes On "hostname," "helo," "client," "sender"
        and "recipient" Access Lists and Restrictions

and especially the section:

        Understanding The Order In Which SMTPD Restrictions Are Applied

--
        Viktor.