Am 14.02.2013 14:48, schrieb Luca Arzeni:
> I'm in need of using a smarthost to relay all of my mail.
>
> I'm unable to use an italia provider (aruba) as smarthos for my server.
> I obtain the (in)famous "550 5.1.0 XXXXX authentication failed"

maybe he does not like PLAIN without encryption
why in the world would anybody do this?

install "cyrus-sasl-md5" or however the package is called
in your dsitribution and postfix will automatically use
the best available method

> I've tested username/password using thunderbird as client, it works

with unencrypted plain auth?

> I've tested the same configuration with another provider: it works.

does not matter

> My guess is that the provider uses different server to answer to my request

how should it do this?

> and so postfix is unable to find a matching password in
> file /etc/postfix/sasl/saslpasswd.

YOU control the match not the target server

YOU control that host/port of the reylhost matchs EXACTLY
how it is defined in "saslpasswd" and my guess is that
you forgot to put the hostname inside [] to disable
MX lookups

cat /etc/postfix/saslpasswd
# CHANGES: postmap /etc/postfix/saslpasswd
[mail.thelounge.net]:587 user:pwd

> But I've tried by using smtp_cname_overrides_servername=yes or
> smtp_cname_overrides_servername=no and it failed in
> the same way.

don't do mangling around everywhere

> I've also tried to declare all hostnames that I can see in the logs placing
> all of them in the
> /etc/postfix/sasl/saslpasswd but even this way I cannot send my mail

why are you doing this?