On 2/14/2013 6:23 AM, Dominique wrote:
> On 02/13/2013 03:24 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
> [snip]
> - Use some third-party relayhost service, such as dyndns. This will
> not be free, but shouldn't cost very much. If you have more than a
> couple dozen email addresses, this will be cheaper than a google
> apps account.
>
> -- Noel Jones
> [snip]
>
> I finally went with dyndns. Low cost for the volume we have and easy
> to setup.
> But since the price is volume based I was thinking of splitting the
> outgoing trafficbetween my ISP and dym.com
>
> I thought of using relayhost to my ISP by default and use
> fallback_relay when the ISP failed. However the documentation of
> fallback_relay mentions only that it kicks in when then main relay
> fails. In my case I want to use it when it bounces the mail for the
> wrong reason (reason why I went with dyn.com in the first place):
>
> Feb  4 14:20:57 www postfix/smtp[6592]: 6CF7EA41F89:
> to=<servic...@dominio.com>,
> relay=smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228]:25, delay=3.4,
> delays=0.15/0.01/0.26/3, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (host
> smtp.movistar.es[213.4.149.228] said: 552 5.2.0
> wDHP1k00B3cN3cx1hDHPt5 internal error ??. 6007 (in reply to end of
> DATA command))
>
> Would it work ?

No, fallback_relay is for when the preferred destination is
unreachable.  When the primary (incorrectly) rejects your mail, your
options are somewhat limited.

One ugly-hack workaround is to add soft_bounce=yes to the master.cf
smtp transport entry, which will transform the 5xx reject into a 4xx
retry, and hope the relay will accept the message on the next try.
This can cause the unwanted side effect that if a message is
persistently undeliverable it will hang around in your queue for
$maximal_queue_lifetime (default 5 days).

#master.cf existing smtp transport entry
smtp unix - - n - - smtp
  -o soft_bounce=yes

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, the soft_bounce setting should
trigger a fallback_relay delivery attempt.  Give it a whirl.

And complain loudly to the ISP when the service you're paying for
isn't working.

  -- Noel Jones