On Apr 12, 2013, at 7:10, btb <b...@bitrate.net> wrote:
> On 2013.04.12 07.01, LuKreme wrote:
>> In our previous episode (Thursday, 11-Apr-2013), b...@bitrate.net
>> said:
>>> you can certainly upgrade without breaking everything.  as with
>>> anything else, it just takes some care and consideration.  as far
>>> as procmail goes, i'd consider losing procmail to be a benefit.
>>> why do you think you need it?
>>
>> Because I use it extensively.
>
> that's a foregone conclusion.  the question is for what do you use it.  in
> the vast majority of cases, sieve can do everything procmail can do.  if you
> were to switch from courier to dovecot for imap, delivery via lmtp from
> postfix to dovecot offers a number of benefits, only one of which is easy
> integration of sieve.

I've never used sieve, but have been using procmail for 15 years or so. I use
it to sort mail, of course, but also for adding headers, sending copies of
certain mails, altering subject lines, and probably a  couple of other things
I'm not think of. My procmail recipes tend to span 4 or 5 rc files and several
hundred lines. It's not something I think I want to try to redo in sieve.