On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

When it comes time to install, do I do "make install" or "make
upgrade"? It's not clear to me if "make upgrade" will work when the
upgrade is in a different location than the previous version.

You could consider the Postfix from macports.

I did consider Macports. Already did some testing with it and it worked fine. But I became comfortable with building from source before I learned about packages so prefer to continue that way when I can. Plus having some stuff from Macports and some from source seems to cause some side issues.

FWIW, I consider Lion (10.7) to be the last version of OS X for which the Apple provided Postfix is usable. For Mountain Lion (10.8), they changed a lot of the default directories but also removed amavisd-new (compatability through OS upgrades apparently is not something Apple thinks has value). Plus the pain of Apple provided updates deciding to make changes to main.cf for "security" (Apple considers having something listening 24/7 on port 25 to be a security issue). So now, it's get off the Apple provided Postfix, then amavisd-new, then see about upgrading to Mountain Lion.

Otherwise, "make install".

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the answer.

-- Larry Stone
   lston...@stonejongleux.com