Hello,

this is Semi-OT but since a lot of people run Postfix before Exchange I hope to find some knowledge here. Also heads-up :-)

We have a couple of Exchange customers behind our frontend MX servers. We don't turn them up until they have configured their HBT servers to reject unknown recipients and we have verified SMTP callout to them.

One customer is migrating from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 and it seems to be impossible there. There is some documentation about "Recipient filtering" here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218660%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

But it does not work. Until we realized that Exchange started rejecting the recipients, but in DATA stage.

mail from: <t...@test.de>
250 2.1.0 Sender OK
rcpt to: <doesnotex...@test.customer.de>
250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
data
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
test
.
550 5.1.1 User unknown

This gets even worse when the mail has two recipients ... doesnotexist@ does not exist, t1@ does...

rcpt to: <t...@test.customer.de>
250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
data
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
test
.
550 5.1.1 User unknown

mail from: <t...@test.de>
250 2.1.0 Sender OK
rcpt to: <t...@test.customer.de>
250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
data
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
test
.
250 2.6.0 <MSGID> [InternalId=2740189134859] Queued mail for delivery

This is not only unusable for Recipient validation, but will reject legitimate mail since you cannot reject individual recipients in DATA with SMTP.

According to this threat:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/91c26fd2-aa0c-4006-9326-ece609bf4f67/

this is expected. I can hardly believe that.

We do not have in-house experience with 2013 yet. Can anyone shed some light at this?

Verification against AD (LDAP) would be an option but requires a lot more configuration and coordination with the customer, and some of them are uncomfortable opening those ports anyway.

Bernhard