Robert Lopez:
> It would not surprise me in the least to find out I did something wrong.   :-}
>
> I know I did "yum install db4-devel" as part of packages I believed
> were prerequisites to installing Postfix.
> My recall is that I was missing a /usr/include file when test building
> a Postfix and I did a "yum provides" that lead me to the decision to
> install db4-devel.

I suggest that you install a compiled version of Postfix, and that
you use a simpler program to become familiar with the process of
building your own binaries.

Running ldd(1) on Postfix will not show if some library has its own
dependency on a DIFFERENT Berkeley DB version.  While Postfix will
report library mis-matches if it can, other libraries may not, and
just thrash your memory.