Asai:
After investigating this issue further, it looks like there might be
something I'm missing regarding postscreen.  My reasoning for this is
yesterday a client said she couldn't send email.  I looked at her phone
and the postfix logs and could see that her IP address was being
rejected by postscreen:
Wietse:
As documented ***DO NOT*** run postscreen on the server port
that is used by mail client programs.
Asai:
I'm wondering if I have something wrong in master.cf:

587       inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       1       postscreen
smtpd     pass  -       -       n       -       -       smtpd
dnsblog   unix  -       -       n       -       0       dnsblog
tlsproxy  unix  -       -       n       -       0       tlsproxy
submission inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
In that case one mistake is that the client connected to the wrong
service: they connected to service smtp(=port 25) instead of service
submission(=port 587). That's also why postscrfeen rejected the
client: the client came from a IP address dynamic pool.

Another mistake may be that you offer AUTH service on port 25.

An unrelated mistake is that you have two submission service entries
in master.cf: one called 587 and one called submission. Only the
last entry will be used, so it is a good idea to remove the first
one.

        Wietse
Would it follow then that I should remove the smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter from main.cf? Would that be causing clients to try to connect via port 25 even though they're set to connect to 587?

[root@triata ~]# postconf -n | grep smtp_
postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain, login
smtp_tls_loglevel = 2