On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 11:29:55 +0300, Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On an Ubuntu Server 12.04 system with Dovecot 2.0.19 I am having some
>
> $ /usr/bin/doveadm pw -u u...@somedomain.com -s DIGEST-MD5
> Enter new password: # Here I have typed "12345"
> {DIGEST-MD5}f4e442b0dec5009eaa8b9b4104923edc
> $ printf "12345" | md5sum
> 827ccb0eea8a706c4c34a16891f84e7b  -
>
> Shouldn't that password match the md5sum check? Also, might I have the
> file formats wrong?

The best place for this question is the Dovecot mailing list.

That said, as a hint you should look at:
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Pw

While at that page, if go to the part about '-u user' it clearly reads:
  'When the DIGEST-MD5 scheme is used, also the user name must be
  given, because the user name is a part of the generated hash.'

Where in 'printf "12345" | md5sum', is that (required) user name?

M.