On Jul 9, 2013, at 21.56, Fred Zinsli <fred.zin...@shooter.co.nz> wrote:

> This is something I hadn't considered at all.
> In order for me to better understand the consequences of my actions are
> you able to explain to me why that is the case, and what situation would
> need to arise for that to happen. Or simply point me to the appropriate
> articles so I can read and investigate this.
>
> It is looking more and more like I should be leasing another VPS server to
> host my backup DNS and MX.

honestly, i simply wouldn't bother with a backup mx.  what is the actual
problem you're trying to solve by running a backup mx?  the contemporary
internet is remarkably well connected - the days in which the truly practical
application of a backup mx were back when hosts/sites often spent the majority
of their time disconnected from the internet.

-ben