On Jul 31, 2013, at 18:19, Charles Marcus <cmar...@media-brokers.com> wrote:

> We are testing a new outsourced anti-spam service (Edgewave/RedCondor). We
> are letting their systems check for valid recipients using the VRFY command,
> but their default verifier uses <someth...@mydomain.com>, instead of
> <someth...@redcondor.net> as the FROM address when verifying. Because I
> employ anti-spoofing (anything from/to one of our addresses must be sent
> through our server or we reject it), we had to set up a custom verifier in
> the Edgewave control panel.
>
> Everything is working, mail is flowing, but grepping on
> (lost|warning|error|fatal|panic), I see a lot of these:
>
>> 2013-07-31T10:48:39-04:00 myhost postfix-25/smtpd[17729]: lost connection
>> after VRFY from smtp446.redcondor.net[208.80.204.46]
>
> with occasional
>
>> 2013-07-31T10:46:28-04:00 myhost postfix-25/smtpd[17993]: too many errors
>> after VRFY from smtp644.redcondor.net[208.80.206.44]
>
> tossed in.
>
> Is this normal? Or is this indicative of a problem that should be fixed?

No, not normal. Apparently their verifier takes a shortcut by just
dropping the connection instead of sending a QUIT, like it should. And
it also does that quite often it seems, which leads to the second error.

First, make sure that your 'custom verifier' includes all the
appropriate steps. Depending on how that is set up, you yourself might
be the culprit ;-)

If that does not work, you could try debugging this with the
'notify_classes' parameter;

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#notify_classes

This will send a session transcript to the postmaster for every session
that is rejected or otherwise ends in an error. Using the information
from that you should be able to find where the problem originates.

Mvg,
Joni