On 07/08/2013 8:25 AM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
On Aug 7, 2013, at 12:03, John Allen <j...@klam.ca> wrote:

On 07/08/2013 1:49 AM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
On Aug 7, 2013, at 02:32, John Allen <j...@klam.ca> wrote:

root@bilbo:~# postconf -nf
[snip]

message_size_limit = 34359738368
Compare this to ours;

==
$ /usr/sbin/postconf -nf |grep message_size_limit
message_size_limit = 31457280
==

And the default;

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#message_size_limit

Is there any particular reason you need to accept messages 32 GB in size?

Yes. We support a business that designs and manufactures packaging and
displays. The sort of thing you might see in the aisle of a supermarket or
store selling gum, personal care products.  The graphics, art work and design
of these need to be sent to the people involved. We have looked into using
services like Dropbox but the problem with all of these is copyright. Our
customers legal eagles have advise against such services as they may compromise
their copyright on anything stored on such services.

OT: It is the same advice and reasoning they gave against using public cloud
services, some of whose terms of service essentially strip the user of all
copyright ownership.
And they are regularly sending you files, via e-mail, up to 32 GB in
size? Attachments that are larger than, say, 1 GB? Does the sending
mail server allow attachments that big in outgoing mail? Does your
queue directory reside on a partition that has that much room?

When have you last grepped through your logs to look at the actual
sizes of the messages that are coming in? What is the largest message
size you have received in, say, the last four weeks?

I find it all a wee bit hard to believe. You see, we also support
similar businesses, and have for many years. For large files, they are
uploaded over SFTP, and downloaded via same, or HTTP. And increasingly,
they are using WeTransfer for this. Check their terms, several of our
clients have abandoned their local file transfer setups for it.

But please, stop abusing e-mail for this. It's insane, and a disaster
waiting to happen.

Mvg,
Joni
We have already setup a webdav system for saving large attachments, the in house users are supposed to use this for internal mail. This still leaves the problem of contractors and suppliers. The problem here is how to isolate them from each other and the whole from the outsider.